Monday, May 23, 2005

Bike To Work Day

Bike To Work Day was terrific this year. In past years, I've joined local bicyclists, other councilmembers and the Los Angeles County Bicycle Coalition to bicycle either to City Hall or to my field office. But, as this year's events showed, bicycling is just one piece of the road-congestion/pollution puzzle. While bicycling is probably the most fun, taking the bus, carpooling and walking all get cars off the road, making it easier for everyone to breathe and get around town. So this year, I bicycled down to the corner of Sunset and Echo Park as usual. Once I was there, I loaded my bike onto a bus (see below) and headed for Good Samaritan Hospital, where, in what I thought was an only-in-LA twist, a group of clergy presided over the Blessing of the Bikes.

Bike, bus

Get your bike on the bus