For those of you interested in helping families in Japan that need assistance following the earthquake, here are some organizations that are providing relief efforts there.
- The American Red Cross is offering assistance and financial support to the Japanese Red Cross for its role providing first aid, emotional support and relief items to those displaced. To help, donate online or text REDCROSS to 90999 to make a $10 donation.
- Operation USA, a Los Angeles-based International relief agency, will prepare to aid Japan as part of the relief efforts following the earthquake. To help, donate online, by phone at 800-678-7255, or by check made out to Operation USA, 3617 Hayden Ave, Suite A, Culver City, CA 90232.
- Los Angeles Emergency Preparedness Foundation is accepting donations in support of the Japan Tsunami and Disaster Preparedness for Southern California. LAEPF is a nonprofit organization that supports the City of Los Angeles with emergency preparedness and mitigation activities, education on disaster preparedness, and assistance and support when an incident occurs. To help, donate online.
- An International Medical Corps emergency response team is on the ground in Japan and is coordinating with local officials to support response efforts and fill critical gaps. To help, donate online, by phone at (800) 481-4462, or by check payable to International Medical Corps, ATTN: Development Department, International Medical Corps, 1919 Santa Monica Boulevard, Suite 400, Santa Monica, CA 90404.
- Habitat for Humanity Disaster Response is working to develop innovative housing and shelter assistance models that generate sustainable interventions for people vulnerable to or affected by the Japan earthquake and tsunami. To help, donate online.