Thursday, May 14, 2009

Bike to Work Week: Mitch O'Farrell

My District Director for Constituent Services, Mitch O'Farrell, rode his bike to the Hollywood District Office today as part of Bike to Work Week. He shares his experience here.


How many miles (round trip) is your ride to work?
14 miles round trip.

How long does it take you to drive?
In regular traffic it takes 25-30 minutes; in light traffic, 20 minutes.

How long does it take you to ride your bike?
40 minutes, regardless of traffic.

In what ways did you have to change your morning routine in order to ride your bike to work?
Changes were very minimal. I didn't have to iron a shirt like I normally do. Rather than dressing for work, I packed clothing for work in my backpack and put on my biking clothes. That takes much less time than actually getting ready for work on a typical day.

I pumped air in my tires. My dogs watched very curiously because it represented a slight break in the routine. They were perplexed.

How did it go?
It was a breeze and it was very pleasant. I met Helen (Leung, Hollywood Field Deputy) at the intersection of Riverside and Fletcher coming from Glassell Park. We then rode together from there to the office in Hollywood.

Any tips for those contemplating riding a bike to work for the first time?
Anticipate how long it will take and then throw in another 15-20 minutes. By throwing in that extra time, you can enjoy the ride more without having to think about racing against the clock.

Wear a helmet at all times. There are plenty of people who don't wear helmets. There are hazards out there. I hate wearing a helmet, but I always wear one.