Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Community residents working for change!

Since President Obama's campaign, Americans are more aware about community organizing. It's something in which we have long believed in my Council office. This morning I spoke to a group of Angelenos participating in our Government 101 workshop. I started these workshops because I strongly believe that change in our communities comes from the ground up, and it's important for people to understand how government works in order to participate in it.


In the half-day workshop, today's attendees are learning about the City's legislative process, how to read City Council agendas, how to monitor City Council meetings, and how to effectively influence the legislative process.


I'm proud that since 2001, hundreds of emerging leaders have participated in our workshops to learn how to organize their communities and affect government.