Friday, April 25, 2008

The New and Improved Dodger Stadium


Dodger Stadium
Originally uploaded by CD-13
Yesterday I joined Mayor Villaraigosa, Councilmember Ed Reyes, and Dodgers owners Frank and Jamie McCourt in unveiling plans to modernize Dodger Stadium by 2012. They've hit a home run with their plans to increase green space and reduce the impact on neighborhood traffic while preserving LA's beloved stadium.

I'm especially excited that the proposal includes an aggressive move toward greening the facility. The plans include almost doubling the number of trees, new water and energy efficient technologies, expanding recycling programs, and eco-friendly landscaping, including the unpaving of more that 15 acres of parking lots.

As a kid growing up in Los Angeles, I came to Dodger stadium and cheered for my home team. A dream came true when I was invited to throw the first pitch at a game. Now, I can't wait for these renovations that will update this jewel for the next generation of Dodger fans.