Wednesday, November 07, 2007

Writers' strike resolution


Around the world, Los Angeles is synonymous with the entertainment industry. It's part of our culture and a big part of our economy. This writers' strike is about so much more than just one industry -- it impacts our entire city.

Earlier this week, I was talking to a florist who owns a shop in Silver Lake. He is really worried that a lengthy strike could be harmful to his business.

Today, I introduced a resolution in City Council to urge both parties to come back to the table and resolve this quickly. It also offers city facilities, free of charge, as a neutral meeting place. Several writers came to testify in favor of the resolution. Writer Patrick Massett said, "We want everyone to be working. It's about our future. It's about our families." I want everyone to be able to go back to work, too. The resolution passed unanimously, and I will be doing everything I can to urge the parties involved to resume discussions.