Monday, May 14, 2007

Principle #8: Landscape in Abundance


Solaire Green Roof
Originally uploaded by birdw0rks.
Recently, the Los Angeles City Planning Commission unveiled a 14-point policy agenda to set the city on a course towards sustainability, using Planning Director Gail Goldberg's mantra-DO REAL PLANNING as an acronym for the platform. On this blog, I am using this blog to share my thoughts on each of these planning principles through the lens of my own district work and the potential for citywide direction along these lines.

During my first term in office, I successfully advocated for revisions in the city's landscape ordinance to encourage greening and water conservation and championed the expansion of the native tree protection ordinance. Private development can play a critical role in the greening of our city as well. We need to give specific incentives to buildings that incorporate more abundant landscaping. I am also working closely with my colleague Councilmember Ed Reyes to promote more green roofs atop our buildings. We hosted a green roofs symposium recently towards this end. Lastly, buildings that have vibrant and responsible landscaping receive points toward LEED certification and priority plan checks with the Planning Department.