Monday, July 24, 2006

Wendy Greuel, Superhero

You may remember that, a few years ago, my colleague and friend Wendy Greuel with her deputy Leslie Pollner were dubbed the Cagney and Lacey of City Hall when they witnessed a hit-and-run and pursued the driver, who had left his vehicle on foot. Now comes an email from Police Commissioner Shelley Freeman, who witnessed Councilmember Greuel spring into action for justice while having lunch downtown.

Read more...

[...]Crime fighting Councilmember Wendy Greuel was at it again today. We were having lunch at Pete's @ 4th and Main when she looked out the window, saw one woman assaulting another across the street and katty-corner, and got up from her chair to run across the street and break up the fight.

On her way out the door, she hollered over her shoulder to me to call 911, which I did, while I followed her outside. Upon her approach, the woman doing the assault took off with her two male companions, whose description I gave to the 911 operator. The victim was shirtless, so Wendy ran to her car to get a spare shirt (really!) while I explained to the arriving sergeant what was going on.

The victim, evidently wanted on an arrest warrant of her own, expressed her desire to turn herself in, and Wendy and I left the victim in the good and caring hands of Sergeant Halliburton, and returned to lunch.

Just another day in the life of Councilmember Wendy Greuel!


I'm speechless, but not at all surprised.