Friday, July 21, 2006

Neighborhood Council Review Commission

I had the chance to address the inaugural meeting of the Neighborhood Council Review Commission, which gathered in the Tom Bradley Chamber atop City Hall. The 29 commissioners were sworn in by City Clerk Frank Martinez, and set about deciding on their meeting schedule, rules and protocols. I had the opportunity to address them and to watch the proceedings as a member of the public, and I look forward to bold action from the commission that advances the role of grassroots democracy in Los Angeles.

I was also pleased to see that my appointment, Rev. Altagracia Perez, was elected by the commissioners as Chair of the Commission, and CD13 local leader and Neighborhood Councilmember Jason Lyon (appointed by the Mayor) was elected First Vice-Chair.