Monday, May 15, 2006

Mother's Day

A few months ago, this letter landed in my inbox. I've been saving it. I know a Mother's Day appreciation should be about how much my mother has done for me personally, but I'll save that for off-blog and share how proud I am of the effect my mom, Sukey Garcetti, has had on many of the people around her.

Read more...

About twenty years ago, I had the opportunity of delivering your family's mail when you lived at 5064 Gaviota Avenue in Encino. Because of the large volume of mail for the family, and because of the need for the certified letters to be signed, I often came to your door and became acquainted with you and your family. It was a long walk to the back of that flag lot, but I always looked forward to seeing your mother again. She always greeted me with a smile and a kind thought. When the holidays arrived, your mother handed me a carefully wrapped present -- a book. She had perceived that I had a literary appreciation. That insight from her enabled me to become more introspective about many ideas, and a couple of years later, when offered one of eight vacant teaching positions, I chose English. During the intervening sixteen years that I have been a teacher, I have had no regrets about my decision to find value in story. My only regret was failing to adequately thank your mother for her kindness.

Peace,
Ted


(Of course, I've since passed this on to mom, who remembers our old mailman well.)