Thursday, January 24, 2008

State of Hollywood address


State of Hollywood address
Originally uploaded by CD-13
Today I gave my 7th State of Hollywood address, an annual event that has been organized by the Hollywood Chamber of Commerce for many years.

You can read the speech on my website, but I'm proud to say that the state of Hollywood is strong and getting stronger through the big dreams and hard work so many people have contributed to our community. Hollywood is a great neighborhood and we have come a long way, but we still have more to do.

This year, I want to help make Hollywood safer by expanding a program that I started in Glassell Park. It's called At the Park After Dark, and it keeps parks open until 11 p.m. during the summer so that teens have a safe, supervised place to be. I'm calling on the Hollywood community to help me bring this program to Lemon Grove Park and the Hollywood Rec Center this summer.

Also, I dedicated this year's address to Johnny Grant, Hollywood's honorary mayor who passed away earlier this month. In a town full of dreams, Johnny had some of the biggest and he worked hard to make them come true. He wouldn't have wanted any of us to just stand on the sidelines, so it's time for us to recommit to realizing our dreams for Hollywood's future.